If you want to install Original LTS Ubuntu 16.04 (with initial LTS Kernel 4.4) on Power9, you were / are out of luck. This is because full kernel support for Power9 got in from 4.10 on wards.
But to some jubilation, 16.04.3 LTS got released today (08/03/17) with support for 17.04 Kernel (4.10). So work around to install Ubuntu LTS on Power9 is to use 16.04.03 LTS HWE kernel / initrd instead of ones I indicated in my previous blog post:
Again, Follow the same procedure in previous blog post BUT with NEW kernel / initrd links.
Enjoy the first LTS port on Power9
Here’s how to install Ubuntu 16.04 on PPC64LE server. In my case Barreleye, our openPOWER server is running OPAL as BIOS firmware with Petitboot bootloader:
Here are steps through install:
1) Login to Out of band management and get into host console
- Logging into host OOB console is important since Ubuntu 16.04 PPC64EL installer doesn’t have ASPEED VGA / Graphics drivers. So you cannot see the install progress through the VGA console.
- In your case this might be a ipmi based command to get to host console
- In my case since we are running a openBMC firmware for our out of band needs :
- a) SSH into BMC
- b) Typed the command: obmc-console-client
2) Power on the server and get to Petitboot bootloader. Which should look like below:
2) Now type “n” to have add a new boot option.
We are netboot installing 16.04. So let’s grab and add the kernel and initrd url’s for Xenial (16.04 code name) respectively:
Your screen should look like this:
3) Press OK and you should return to Petitboot main screen. The boot option you just added should come up as “User Item 1”:
4) Select and enter “User Item 1” for starting the install. Following which you will go through standard Ubuntu Install process, that you should be familiar with.
Thanks I hope this post helps you Install not just Ubuntu 16.04 but any OS of your choice using Petitboot.